My Secret Life as a Spaghetti Coder
home | about | contact | privacy statement
So we decided that blog software centers around posts and that for any other feature to be useful, we'd need them first. Therefore, we'll start with a model component for our posts, and we'll call it PostEntity. Before I create that file though, I'm going to go back into my test_PostEntity.cfc file and write a test or two for some functionality that PostEntity should provide.

Thinking of things we should be able to do regarding the storage of posts, it's easy to identify at least insert(), update(), and delete(). However, since you can't update or delete a post that doesn't exist, I figured I'd start with adding a post. I came up with the following test:

<cffunction name="test_insertPost" access="public" returntype="void" output="false">
      <cfset var local = structNew()>
      <cfset local.nameOfPost = "My Test Post" & left(createUUID(),8)>
      <cfset local.meatOfPost = "The meat of the post is that this is a test." & left(createUUID(),8)>
      <cfset local.dateOfPost = now()>
      <cfset = "Sam #createUUID()#">

      <cfset local.newID=_thePostEntity.insertPost(name=local.nameOfPost, meat=local.meatOfPost, originalDate=local.dateOfPost, lastModifiedDate=local.dateOfPost,>

      <cfquery name="" datasource="#variables._datasource#">
         select name, meat, originalDate, author
         from post
         where id = <cfqueryparam cfsqltype="cf_sql_integer" value="#local.newID#">

      <cfset assertEquals(, expected=local.nameOfPost)>
      <cfset assertEquals(, expected=local.meatOfPost)>
      <cfset assertEquals(,>

      <!--- dateCompare isn't working correctly, so we are testing each datepart --->      
      <cfset assertEquals(actual=month(, expected=month(local.dateOfPost))>
      <cfset assertEquals(actual=day(, expected=day(local.dateOfPost))>
      <cfset assertEquals(actual=year(, expected=year(local.dateOfPost))>
      <cfset assertEquals(actual=hour(, expected=hour(local.dateOfPost))>
      <cfset assertEquals(actual=minute(, expected=minute(local.dateOfPost))>
      <cfset assertEquals(actual=second(, expected=second(local.dateOfPost))>

      <!--- clean up --->
      <cfquery datasource="#_datasource#">
         delete from post where id = #local.newID#

You'll notice I used a UUID as part of the data. There's no real point to it, I suppose. I just wanted to have different data each time, and thought this would be a good way to achieve that.

You should also be uncomfortable about the comment saying dateCompare isn't working - I am anyway. It doesn't always fail, but occasionally it does, and for reasons I can't figure out, CFUnit isn't reporting why. For now, so I can move on, I'm assuming it is a bug in CFUnit. Since I can test each date part that is important to me individually and be sure the dates are the same if they all match, I don't feel too bad.

Another thing to note is the use of the var local. By default, any variables created are available everywhere, so to keep them local to a function, you need to use the var keyword. I like to just create a struct called local and put all the local variables in there - it just makes things easier.

Finally, some people might not like the length of that test. Right now, I don't either, but we'll see what we can do about that later. Others may also object to using more than one assertion per test. I don't mind it so much in this case since we really are only testing one thing. If you like, you could also create a struct out of each and write a UDF like structCompare() and do the assertion that way. I haven't tested this one personally, but there is one available at cflib. In either case, I don't see much difference, other than one way I have to write more code than I need.

Now I run the test file we created and find that, as expected, the test still fails. Besides the fact that we don't even have a PostEntity.cfc, we haven't yet instantiated an object of that type, nor have we defined _datasource and the like. Let's do that in the setUp() method.

<cffunction name="setUp" access="public" returntype="void" output="false">
   <cfset variables._datasource="xorblog">
   <cfset variables.pathToXorblog = "domains.xorblog">
   <cfset variables._thePostEntity = createObject("component", "#variables.pathToXorblog#cfcs.src.PostEntity").init(datasource=_datasource)>

Now our tests still fail, because we have no code or database. So create the datasource and database with columns as needed:

id (int, primary key, autonumber)
name (nvarchar 50)
meat (ntext)
originalDate (datetime)
lastModifiedDate (datetime)
author (nvarchar 50)

Next time, we'll start coding and get our first green test. (To be continued...)

Hey! Why don't you make your life easier and subscribe to the full post or short blurb RSS feed? I'm so confident you'll love my smelly pasta plate wisdom that I'm offering a no-strings-attached, lifetime money back guarantee!

Leave a comment

There are no comments for this entry yet.

Leave a comment

Leave this field empty
Your Name
Email (not displayed, more info?)


Subcribe to this comment thread
Remember my details

Picture of me

.NET (19)
AI/Machine Learning (14)
Answers To 100 Interview Questions (10)
Bioinformatics (2)
Business (1)
C and Cplusplus (6)
cfrails (22)
ColdFusion (78)
Customer Relations (15)
Databases (3)
DRY (18)
DSLs (11)
Future Tech (5)
Games (5)
Groovy/Grails (8)
Hardware (1)
IDEs (9)
Java (38)
JavaScript (4)
Linux (2)
Lisp (1)
Mac OS (4)
Management (15)
MediaServerX (1)
Miscellany (76)
OOAD (37)
Productivity (11)
Programming (168)
Programming Quotables (9)
Rails (31)
Ruby (67)
Save Your Job (58)
scriptaGulous (4)
Software Development Process (23)
TDD (41)
TDDing xorblog (6)
Tools (5)
Web Development (8)
Windows (1)
With (1)
YAGNI (10)

Agile Manifesto & Principles
Principles Of OOD
Ruby on Rails

RSS 2.0: Full Post | Short Blurb
Subscribe by email:

Delivered by FeedBurner